Le Petit Elephant

In my rush to get my Christmas gifts done for all of my amazing friends in Fairbanks and Anchorage, I was pleasantly surprised to have enough time to finish one gift that I was especially eager to start: Grace's artistic pin cushion. Grace is absolutely one of my dearest and closest friends, and a fellow sewing fiend! This year, on my limited budget, I really wanted to make her something that would speak to her inner seamstress!

My mother, Cindy Shake, was kind enough to send me a few quilt patterns for the holiday season. One of these excellent patterns was by my absolute favorite fabric designer, Heather Bailey, who's excellent online store can be viewed here. The pattern is called "Effie and Ollie" and can be seen on Heather's website here.

Grace is creative and fun, and I wanted to make her a sewing keep sake that would keep her cheery through those tough times that all we sewers face. Grace has a love for birds, and I looked for fabric that involved feathered critters in some shape or form. I was lucky enough to find the perfect print at Joann's during some errand running on the other side of town- it was a gray fabric, featuring lighter gray Japanese style trees and pink birds on one of the branches. It was perfect!

All of Mrs. Bailey's instructions were clear cut and easy to follow (as always) and in under four hours, a little adorable elephant was born!! On mine, I used her little flower patterns and put two flowers with leaves behind each of her ears. It was so adorable when it was finished- my boyfriend, Nelson called me at work when he saw it on the counter after my day of sewing and told me that, "We need a herd of these little things!" :)

No pictures of the actual process, but here are the final results, with one satisfied friend!!

Comments

Popular Posts