Photo Gallery of the Rose Quilt Progress

Well, the Rose Quilt is almost completed, I am happy to say. I have successfully completed the quilt top, and am in the process of pining the flowers to the intersection points of the vines. Featured below are images I took trying to organize the rows properly, and making sure I didn't have too much overlap of one fabric tone in one area over the other.
Organizing this quilt in this fashion, in my small cabin in -20 degree weather, made me realize that I need to come up with a more space efficient method to baste the front of the quilt to the batting and the back. I think Nelson and I have an idea, and I will write more about that soon...

In the meantime, I think a reflection of my applique method is warranted. As I was organizing the rows, I noticed that my vines and my leaves weren't as secure as I would have liked. For this project, I opted to attach the leaves and vines without the use of my old friend, sewable fusible webbing. My justification for this at the time was that I was trying to avoid a "sticker look" and wanted more organic edges and lines, to give the leaves more realism. I am really regretting this decision, as I am sure that in the near future I will most certainly see the effect I was going for- the "realistic" decay of a flower bed as my leaves fall out one by one!

I don't feel too embarrassed to admit my mistake, because, after all, quilting is a learning process, and I have now learned to never applique unsecured edges!

Comments

Popular Posts